A lot of factors contribute to 'comfort' in a space. If you've ever wondered what that means, consider the following general contributors to what is referred to as Thermal Comfort. Thermal Comfort is comprised of:
- Insulation level of clothes on a person
- Activity Level (Metabolic Rate) of a person
- Air Temperature in a space
- Humidity Level in a space
- Air Speed, often measured in feet per minute.
The Fan contributes of course to the last item, Air Speed. In most cases, an increase in air speed across bare skin makes a person feel cooler.
In summary, delivering air to where the people are is critical to providing the cooling effect.